Saturday, March 7, 2009

New York weather

Last weekend, a foot of snow fell on Manhattan. Today, it was 60 degrees. Most of the snow has melted, except for a couple stubborn mounds (twss) holding on until the very last moment. The random warm days have happened a few times since I moved up here, and they all have something in common: they make me very, very happy.

Today I helped J move from the far west side of Harlem to the not-so-far west side of Harlem. On my way from my hizzy to hers, I boarded the bus, found a single seat by a window, and opened said window. As the bus started moving, a gust of warm, Manhattan air hit my face. Exhiliration. It was the first time in over two months that I've felt the wind on my face through the window of a moving vehicle. As I watched Harlem move by me, for perhaps the first time since I moved up here, I felt completely content.

It's March now, so I keep hoping this is the warm weather here to stay. Of course it's not, and there will probably be a couple more really cold weeks, but a girl can still hope. I want to walk outside in jeans and a tank top and flats and be totally comfortable. I want to take a book and a blanket to Central Park and lay down and read all afternoon. I want to go jogging outside. I want to eat brunch with my friends on an outdoor terrace.

Maybe it's true that moving here during the winter is just harder than moving here during any other season. The winter is very cold and grey and dirty here, but I'm glad I moved up when I did because I think it will make me appreciate the spring that much more.

In other news, I discovered RuPaul's Drag Race today. UHMAZING.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment