Wednesday, December 1, 2010

cultivating habits

She went with a friend to a chain bookstore on her lunch break. She went to buy a new book by a famous rapper, in which he writes the meanings behind some of his lyrics, like with footnotes. The book has one of Andy Warhol's Rorschach paintings on the cover, in gold metallic foil. She was waiting in line to pay, talking to her friend about Camus, because he was looking for a copy of The Stranger. She said, did you know that Bohemian Rhapsody is based on The Stranger? He said, yeah you've told me that before. She said, oh yeah. She said, what's that other book he wrote? Something about a man in a cage. And then there's the one, like The Flu or something. Not The Flu but an epidemic of some sort. The Epidemic? No. Shit. What is that book called? A man in front of her in line turned around and said, I think it's called The Plague. They both laughed. He said, but I like your title better. He walked off to pay for his book. She laughed and laughed, then bought her book about rap/poetry. On his way out the man turned around and said to her, You just made my day. She said, no sir, you made mine. They both laughed again. Then later, walking on the streets of New York, in the drizzling rain, she said: Now I will never forget the name of The Plague. She thought, I'm glad I didn't buy this book on Amazon.

5 comments:

  1. i love everything about this.
    this is what living in new york city is all about.
    hell, it's what living is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. Those moments are the best. I have to make it to the bookstore to get my hands on that same book. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. the last line makes it. stunning, poetic.
    makes me want to write again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks much, Calypso. So glad to inspire you - but keep writing. Always!

    ReplyDelete