Thursday, December 24, 2009

Throwback Thursday: Beyoncé edition

This week, I wanted to take it back to the summer of 2003, when Beyoncé made her debut as a solo artist with the single "Crazy in Love" and the whole world went OH MY FUCKING JESUS THIS GIRL IS THE SHIT. It was the summer before my senior year of high school, and I listened to her first album, Dangerously in Love, on repeat for the duration of it. Come to think of it, it's one of my first real memories of driving around and dancing obnoxiously in my car, totally young and carefree. When it came to my immersion in pop music, I was completely delusional, and still pretty much am to this day.

So, here's the video that, in a sense, started it all. In it, we see the first hints of themes that would prove to be staples in Beyoncé's repertoire, including but not limited to: large fans and windblown hair, always wearing heels, twerking it in said heels, large fur coats, chewing or faux-chewing gum, collabos with Jay-Z, generally looking smoking hot, and (apparently) setting cars on fire. Even Chuck Klosterman has written about how much he fucking loved this song when it came out, and Chuck doesn't really love a lot of things.



Also, it's weird to think that when she made this video, she was a year (nigh two) younger than I am presently. F.M.L.

1 comment:

  1. LoL. I remember I was in Eighth Grade when this video came out. I use to practice the booty pop in my room.

    ReplyDelete